UNIVERSITY OF RUSE “ANGEL KANCHEV”
About the University
“Angel Kanchev” University of Ruse is an autonomous state higher school. It was transformed with a Decision of the People’s Assembly of 21 June 1995 and is a successor of the higher technical school, established in Ruse on 12.11.1945. There are eight faculties in the structure of the University: Agrarian and Industrial Faculty, Faculty of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Faculty of Electrical Engineering Electronics and Automation, Faculty of Transport, Faculty of Business and Management, Faculty of Natural Sciences and Education, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Public Health and Healthcare, two Branches of Ruse University in Silistra and Razgrad and a Bulgarian and Romanian Inter-university Europa Centre.
The strategic priorities of the University are as follows:
• preparation of students for work in the conditions of strong competition on the labour market and expanding the scope of training;
• development of the intra-university system for quality control in education;
• development of the staff and research potential;
• implementation of a set of activities in the field of European integration and international relations;
• building up of a well-organised university system, flexible with respect to the external conditions, with modern facilities and information database.
Around 10 000 students and doctoral degree students study in state-of-the-art study halls and research laboratories, spread on 67 490 sq m (of which over 13 000 sq m in the newly built school building -2, officially opened in 2010). The teaching staff consists of 499 highly qualified full-time lecturers, of whom 49 professors, 177 associate professors and 296 PhD lecturers. A great number of renowned specialists in different spheres of knowledge also teach part-time at the University. Student residences and facilities for sport and leisure are provided for all students willing to use them.
Teams from “Angel Kanchev” University of Ruse participate in the implementation of over 250 multi-lateral and bi-lateral international agreements in the field of science and education, of which over 200 are under the Erasmus Progrtamme. Furthermore, there are agreements with partners from about 40 countries from Europe, Asia and America under 20 international programmes for cooperation. The annual number of lecturers, administration, students and doctoral students, participating in international training and practical forums is between 450 and 520, with student mobilities growing continually. Every year between 70 and 100 students travel under the Erasmus programme only.
In 2012 “Angel Kanchev” University of Ruse was accredited by NEAA with the high grade of 9.28. There are 20 professional fields which have been granted programme accreditation in the following areas of higher education: Educational Studies; Social, Economic and Law studies; Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Informatics; Technical Studies; Healthcare, Social Activities and Sports.
University of Ruse admitted students in 48 Bachelor degree programmes:
• Agrarian and Industrial Faculty: Agricultural Machinery and Technologies; Management and Maintenance of Machinery; Industrial Design;Airconditioning, Hydraulics and Gasification; Ecology and Conservation Equipment; Agrarian Engineering;
• Faculty of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering: Mechanical Engineering; Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics; Quality Management and Metrology; Material Science and Technologies; Industrial Engineering;
• Faculy of Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Automation: Electrical Power Engineering and Equipment; Electronics; Computer Control and Automation; Computer Systems and Technologies; Telecommunication Systems; Information and Communication Technologies; Information and Communication Technologies (in English);
• Faculty of Transport: Transport Machinery and Technologies; Transport Management and Technology; Operation of Fleet and Ports;
• Faculty of Business and Management: Business Management; International Economic relations; Economics; Marketing; Eurpean and Global Studies (in English); European Studies and Multi Level Governance; Public Administration; Industrial Management;
• Faculty of Natural Sciences and Education: Computer Sciences; Informatics and Information Technologie in Business; Mathematics and Informatics; Financial Mathematics; Primary School Education and a Foreign Language; Pre-school and Primary School Education; Social Education; Bulgarian Language and History;
• Faculty of Law: Law (regulated Master degree programme);
• Faculty of Public Health and Healthcare: Social Work; Kinezitherapy; Occupational Therapy; Midwife; Nurse;
• Silistra Branch: Bulgarian Language and a Foreign Language; Physics and Informatics; Transport Machinery and Technologies; Electrical Engineering;
• Razgrad Branch: Biotechnologies; Chemical Technologies; Food Technologies.
Annually, the University offers about 80 Master degree courses and 43 PhD courses.